Bao Li

Mar 062023

Year 3! This year’s trip was a bit more wet than usual but still gave me much needed sun and warm weather. The thing with rain in Honolulu is that it comes and goes. It’ll pour for 5 mins and the sun will come out. As expected… Maki no showed.


Mar 132022

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. This is year two to see if Maki will put some effort into her friendships or if she really just uses people. Obviously, with the pandemic, I didn’t expect her to go in 2021 when I can’t even get there. We’re finally able to travel again so I went on my annual trip to Waikiki, setting aside a few hours for Ruth’s. To be honest, I don’t even care if she shows up anymore but I said I would and I always follow through. Fun estimate… if she used me for an average of $5k a year… over 20 years, that’s $100k… like I said, it’s not about the money, it’s that she never does anything in return. She told me she would bake some cupcakes for my mom when she helped alter some of her shirts. Yah, my mom never got any cupcakes. She just takes…


Mar 202020

I didn’t want to post this right away because I wanted to give her a chance to actually make good on her promise but it’s been almost 3 months now. These were the last words she sent to me.

My sincerest apologies. I admit I was not a good friend in the end. I will pay you back for all that I owe you.

I wish you all the best. Good luck with everything.


Sent from my iPhone

After taking advantage of me for 20 years, that’s all she had to say. And yup, just like every other promise she’s made to me, this has gone unfulfilled. I’ve not seen any money, no check, no cash, no bank wire… almost 3 months and nothing… At least she’s kind of admitted to using me.


Mar 162020

As you probably already know from the Best Friend Breakup post, I told Maki that the she could find me at Ruth’s Chris in Waikiki on her birthday for the next 5 years. I don’t expect her to show up because that’s too much effort for her, she never puts effort into her friendships. Welp, her birthday came and went and she didn’t show up. My guess is she was mooching off her new friends. I on the other hand was enjoying a great steak in Hawaii like I said I would. 4 more years to go… Receipt at the end to prove the date.



Sep 182016

I recently took 3 weeks off from work. They were vacation days that I did not use the previous year so I had to use them or lose them. Being forced to take these three weeks, I didn’t really have anything planned out aside from a quick drive to Portland to visit an old friend.

Cat owners will know that they like to sit on everything and this is especially annoying when we play scrabble. One of the would come and sit on the board then mess up the tiles. I had looked into buying a Scrabble board with a raised grid and they were hundreds of dollars! After the price shock settled down, I decided to make my own. It would give me something to do and I get to build features into it that the commercial boards do not have such a chute to collect the tiles when you’re done the game.

I’ll spare the details on how I made everything because I’m sure many of the methods I used were all wrong. I don’t have proper woodworking tools because it’s not what I do. I made the entire thing with a Dremel rotary tool with cutting and routing bits. The grid is made of 1/4″ square poplar dowels and the box is made from an 8 piece of crown moulding. Everything purchased at the local Lowe’s home hardware store.

Looking back, I wish I used thinner dowels but I did not know where to buy such a thing until after I built the board. Using 1/8″ dowels, the board would’ve been 2 inches smaller.




Setting my 1/4″ Dremel routing bit to 1/8″ deep



The initial groove.  You should be able to fit a spare dowel in there.



Using the Scrabble tiles and a piece of rope as a spacer to get the right spacing.  I used the rope so that there’s enough of a gap to dig out the tile with your fingernail if you misplace a tile.


I used spare dowels to hold everything straight as I go along.  If I had a proper router, squares, clamps and table saws, I wouldn’t have to improvise.



All done the first set.  Now do another set to make the complete grid.



Glueing the grid together with weights.  Again, no clamps.  If woodworking was something I did a lot of, I’d invest in proper tools.



The grid after trimming off the excess.



The box completed.  Built with 4″ crown moulding.  Just make some bevel cuts and slap it together.  You’ll notice a partially completed chute with one piece missing.  This is to funnel the tile pieces into the drawer.  You can pull the drawer out and pour the tiles back in the bag.  You’ll also see the guides for the board to slide in and out.


Fully assembled and unpainted



This is another drawer I put on the other side.  This one is to hold the score sheets, pen, tile racks and the tiles



Fully stained and painted.  The colour is Bombay Mahogany





I also made a plunger to push the board out from underneath the grid so that it can be pulled out.  I also glued a lazy susan to the bottom so it can be turned.


A lot of things were learned.  If I were to do this again, I’d use smaller dowels and proper tools.  If space was not an issue, I’d make it taller to give the chute more of an angle so the tiles would slide down easier.  I don’t think I’ll be doing this again anytime soon.  It’s a lot of work.